Music Director Search 2018-2019
The Chandler Symphony is accepting applications for Music Director beginning with the 2019-2020 Season. Qualified candidates will be residents of the Greater Phoenix area to accommodate our rehearsal schedule and facilitate community engagement. Each finalist will be scheduled to guest conduct one of five concert cycles during the 2018-2019 season. Please complete the application below and either email it to the Search Committee with the Contact Us link at right, or mail it to the address also shown at right. You may send a DVD or CD but those materials will not be returned. Applications must be received no later than May 15, 2018 to be included in consideration.
Thanks for your interest in joining Chandler Symphony Orchestra.
Email your application:
Or mail your application to:
Chandler Symphony Orchestra
Attn: Music Director Search
PO Box 6475
Chandler, AZ 85246
Download your application HERE
The Chandler Symphony Orchestra (CSO) was founded by Jack Herriman, our current Music Director, and has flourished under his supervision in both the quality of performance and the scope and breadth of the CSO’s activities. It has become a professional-quality community organization that provides a wide variety of music in many venues in the East Valley, while it remains true to the Mission conceived by Jack long ago: to provide professional caliber concerts free to the public with volunteer musicians.
General Job Description includes the following:
- The Music Director has overall responsibility for the artistic vision and musical activities of the orchestra.
- The Music Director selects concert programs and guest artists.
- The Music director approves persons to fill personnel vacancies within the orchestra.
- The Music Director is responsible to lead and oversee classic concerts and rehearsals. The CSO’s season usually includes 5 classics concerts with 4 once weekly rehearsals for each. Additional chamber concerts, community events or other performance opportunities may also be included.
- The Music Director will work with the CSO Executive Director in the general operation of the orchestra, including such tasks as obtaining concert dates at appropriate venues.
- The Music Director is the “public face” of the Orchestra and will lead in supporting and developing the public image of the orchestra.
- The Music Director will assist with fundraising.
- The Music Director will attend meetings of the CSO’s Board of Directors and will work with the Executive Director to maintain and enhance the orchestra’s artistic, financial and social integrity.
Experience & Skills:
- Experience conducting orchestral ensembles of various sizes and music from various periods.
- Training in classical music and conducting.
- A personality that allows effective communication with musicians, board members and interacting with our audience and the general public.
- A commitment to and respect for the CSO’s past, present and future…and especially to our audiences.
Salary range for this position is $5,000 to $10,000, depending on qualifications.
To view a list of our programming from the past five seasons, click HERE.